Corporate, Commercial, Charities, Not-for-Profits Lawyer
Alex is a pragmatic corporate lawyer with extensive experience in advising individuals, businesses, not-for-profits, and charities on tax-driven corporate reorganizations, regulatory matters related to education (including public and private college law), private company mergers and acquisitions, integrations, and corporate governance matters.
Prior to joining Taxpayer Law, Alex practiced corporate commercial law for six years at a large Bay Street law firm. Alex also served for five years in the Canadian Armed Forces in an infantry reserves regiment.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, JD
- Schulich School of Business, iBBA
- Worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
Mergers & Acquisitions and Similar Experience
Software & Technology
- Acted for a C$10M software company in its add-on acquisition of a C$4M SaaS business.
- Acted for a C$5M software company in the sale of the company to a private equity buyer.
Charities & Not-for-Profits
- Acted for three not-for-profit organizations in a C$20M spin-off and integration transaction.
- Acted for multiple educational institutions in public-private partnership transactions with other educational institutions of approximately C$100M.
Manufactured Goods & Healthcare
- Acted for a private equity firm in the purchase of a C$40M appliance manufacturer.
- Acted for two health services providers in a C$20M integration transaction.
Corporate Governance and Similar Experience
- Drafted articles, by-laws, shareholder/member agreements, policies, resolutions, minutes, and other corporate documents for corporations governed by Business Corporations Act (Ontario), Canada Business Corporations Act, Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010 (Ontario), and Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act.
- Drafted partnership agreements for general and limited liability partnerships.
- Advised on duties and liabilities of directors, officers and partners.
PUBLICATIONS / EVENTS / MEDIA
- Co-Author, “Governance advice during COVID-19,” April 2020.
- Speaker, “Boards Behaving Badly: Select Cases on Director Duties and Responsibilities,” 19thAnnual Charities and Not-for-Profits Conference, October 2018.