Benjamin is an articling student at Taxpayer Law. His experience includes advising on reorganization, incorporation, and cross-border transactions. Benjamin has a wide array of industry experience – from cross-border restructuring of a business in the artificial intelligence space to setting up a corporation for a consultant and corporate tax planning for professional corporations (e.g. dentists, optometrists). Benjamin’s interest in tax started several years ago, when he was working as an Income Tax Preparer. Ever since then, Benjamin has wanted to work as a tax professional.
During his time at the University of Ottawa, Benjamin focused his education on both tax and corporate law. Benjamin took every tax course available and multiple courses on corporate governance and finance. He also completed a four-month-long internship with Taxpayer Law.
Ben lives in Ottawa, Ontario. In his free time, he enjoys canoeing, listening to history podcasts, and reading manga.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- First Year Nelligan Moot Semi-Finalist & Best Factum Nominee (2019)
- University of Ottawa, JD (cum laude)
- Queen’s University, B.A. (Hons)
- Worked at Quality Tax as Income Tax Preparer
- Worked at Highland Shores Children’s Aid as Legal Assistant
- Conducted research and drafted transaction documentation for a restructuring associated with C$4+ million settlement.
- Conducted research, worked on steps memorandum, and drafted transaction documents for a C$2+ million restructuring to enable shareholders to gain access to the lifetime capital gains exemption.